CAPS thrash Chapungu to get title charge back on track


Forward Abbas Amidu bagged a brace as CAPS United put their title defence back on track with a resounding 4-0 win over Chapungu on Match Day 6 in the Zimbabwe Premier League.

CAPS had gone into Saturday's encounter under immense pressure following an indifferent run of form, which had yielded just one win and three draws.

And they finally clicked at the National Sports Stadium, dominating the early exchanges before surging ahead towards the half-hour mark after Amidu found himself at the end of a lofted through ball from Ronald Chitiyo to slam home the opener.

Makepekepe continued to look the more threatening side for the rest of the opening half with Chitiyo striking the woodwork, while defender Denis Dauda's header was cleared off the line.

It was not until ten minutes after the break that CAPS were able to double their lead when Amidu scored his second after latching onto a long ball from Carlton Munzabwa.

Chitiyo added a third moments later with a brilliant bicycle kick following a Phineas Bamusi cross, and substitute Dominic Chungwa further twisted the knife on the hapless visitors with a left footed drive two minutes from time.

It was a more progressive starting line-up from coach Lloyd Chitembwe, who deployed the trio of Devon Chafa, Joel Ngodzo and the versatile Mathew Muchenje in central midfield. Chitiyo and Bamusi patrolled the wide areas with Amidu the spearhead. With most matches set to be played on Sunday, the win temporarily lifted CAPS into second place in the table with nine points from five matches.

Triangle coach Taurai Mangwiro was a relieved man as his troops collected their first full set of points following a come-from-behind 2-1 win away to Bulawayo City.

The Sugarcane farmers had travelled to Bulawayo as one of four teams still to record a win, and they seemed headed for another troubled afternoon as Mkululi Moyo put the hosts ahead on 24 minutes.

Triangle, however, returned from the breather a rejuvenated side and they soon on level terms after James Chivasa's fierce strike found its way into the nets off the upright post.

Substitute Lameck Nhamo then scored the winner on 64 minutes after City goalkeeper Liberty Chirava had punched back into play a Ralph Kawondera shot.