FIFA has set up a task force to examine president Gianni Infantino's plans for a new Club World Cup and Global Nations League, a member of the FIFA Council told Reuters after a meeting on Friday.
Infantino's plans had been opposed by the major European club leagues.
"On the question of Club World Cup and the Nations League, we decided to build a task force to have more information, to share different views on this topic from club leagues and national associations," a member of the FIFA council, who declined to be identified because he was not authorised to speak, told Reuters.
Infantino said the council had agreed to "bolster the consultation process" before the next FIFA Council meeting, due to take place in Miami in March.
His UEFA counterpart, Aleksander Ceferin, said after leaving the meeting that "common sense prevailed."
The FIFA Council had met to discuss a £30 million overhaul of competitions, with a decision expected to be delayed again after opposition from European football's governing body UEFA.
Infantino had hoped to secure a council agreement on the concept of revamping the Club World Cup and establishing a worldwide Nations League, but a taskforce to explore the merits of the new formats in more detail has been created instead.
Earlier this week, sources told ESPN FC that UEFA's nine representatives would walk out of the council meeting and boycott proceedings if Infantino forced a vote on his Club World Cup and Nations League proposals.
UEFA is unhappy with the plans, feeling there has not been enough consultation among stakeholders and that the proposals' financial backers have not been identified.