<
>

Sergino Dest rejects USMNT, Netherlands to focus on international future

play
The best of Sergiño Dest at Ajax (1:04)

Sergiño Dest has forced his way into the first team at Ajax with some brilliant play so far in the young season. (1:04)

Ajax defender Sergino Dest has said he rejected the opportunity to join up with the United States and Netherlands national teams in order to concentrate on his international future.

Dest, 18, has dual nationality and did not feature in the U.S. 26-man team for the upcoming CONCACAF Nations League matches later this month.

- World Cup 2022 qualifying: All you need to know
- Sergino Dest could be USMNT's next big thing
- Pulisic Watch: How U.S. star is doing at Chelsea

The teenager was also not called up to the Dutch squad and said he made himself unavailable for selection.

"I don't want to talk about that [the whole subject] yet at this moment," he told Fox Sports Netherlands. "I definitely have not chosen. But I still need to think longer about both options.

"I just said that I don't know it yet and that's why I overlooked both. It is a decision I have to make for the rest of my life and I want to handle that carefully.

"That is why I've let it pass this time and next month you will hear more. Hopefully next month if I've made up my mind, but if I need longer I will take more time."

Dest made two friendly appearances for the U.S. senior team but an appearance in the Nations League would tie him to Gregg Berhalter's side permanently.

The defender helped Ajax to the top of their Champions League group with a 3-0 win away at Valencia on Wednesday.